A vision is a vivid mental image of what you want your business to be in the future, based on your goals and aspirations. Having a vision will give your business a clear focus and guidance.
You want to take time to visualize the successful future that you want to create for yourself and your business. Creating a space in your daily schedule to visualize your future will make your vision real for yourself and bring it closer to you.
When fear, doubt and insecurities set in, your vision will get you out of it. It’s like having a window into the future that only you can see.
The best way to formalize and communicate your vision for your business is to write a vision statement.
A vision statement captures, in writing, the essence of where you want to take your business, and can inspire you and your target market – It’s the heart and soul of your business.
How to write a vision statement
To write an effective vision statement you should think about what your business does, and imagine what your business would look like in it’s best possible state.
Make sure your vision statement:
- Is clear and written in simple language
- Is short yet powerful and memorable
- Helps to paint a picture in peoples’ minds
- Incorporate your objective, advantage and scope
You can use your vision as a way to differentiate yourself and promote your business. It should be used to to guide and give your business direction.
There are many different types of vision statements and there is no wrong or right way to do it. The thing to be mindful of is to make sure your vision statement is unique to you and that you resonate with it.
Examples of inspiring vision statements:
- Tesla: To accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
- Nike: Bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world. *If you have a body, you are an athlete.
- Shopify: Make commerce better for everyone, so businesses can focus on what they do best: building and selling their products.
- TED: Spread ideas.
- Amazon: To be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online.
To get you started, Think of … If you could have it all
- Describe your business; be positive, be ambitious, be specific
- What value are you offering?
- How are you being profitable?
- Describe your life; home, family, leisure
- What are you excited about?
- What does your day look like?
- Describe how your business is impacting your community and the world.
- What changes are you inspiring? What do you stand for?
Now I’d love to hear from you! How are you incorporating your unique story into your vision statement?
For more, Download your 4 Step Guide to Creating a Lucrative Online Business.